Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Spicy Vegan Sloppy Joes

I've always felt conflicted about sloppy joes. They're good, but well... sloppy. I think the shredded red cabbage really makes this sammich come together.

Mats
1lb cremini mushrooms
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1/2c dark ale
1/2c walnuts
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 chipolte in adobo sauce, diced
1/4 c ketchup
3 Tbsp tomato paste
Hamburger buns
Shredded red cabbage. I got lucky in that my grocery store sells this by the bag, so I didn't have to deal with shredding it myself

Using a food processor, process the mushrooms in small batches until they're finely chopped. I had to do 4 batches to get all mine done. You're going for a consistency like ground beef.

Run the walnuts through the food processor too.

In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the diced onion and 1 Tbsp of the ale. Cook about 5 minutes.

Add the chopped walnuts and peppers, cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes.

Add the chipolte and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms are just cooked through, about 5 minutes.

Add the rest of the ale, ketchup, tomato paste, 1/4 tsp of salt and stir well. Cook until heated through or until the sauce is the desired consistency. I like mine fairly thick, so I cooked it for about 10 minutes.

Serve on hamburger buns with a healthy measure of red cabbage on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment